Taro's Ramen & Cafe


Taro's Ramen & Cafe, Brisbane CBD

I've been craving to try other Japanese ramen after visiting Hakataya Noodles in Sunnybank. G told me that Taro's in the city served delicious Tonkotsu ramen too. I managed to persuade MXM to follow me along for this visit today. =)

We got there about 1.30 pm and there was still quite a number of people in the cafe. We went up to the counter and I knew what I want to order already.... Tonkotsu ramen obviously. Unfortunately, they have sold out of that broth already for the day!!! I was so disappointed. =(

Since we were there, we ordered other dishes:

MXM ordered the Shio Ramen- the stock is made of "Golden Triple Soup" blend of vegetables, chicken and dried seafood broth; seasoned with salt and prawn oil; topped with salt loin charsiu pork, egg, sprouts, shallots, fried prawn powder.


Shio Ramen - $ 13.90
The flavour of this soup is quite light and not as strong or thick as my miso ramen. With a blend of vegetables, chicken and seafood broth, MXM felt that there is a stronger seafood/fish flavour, maybe enhanced by the prawn powder.


I ordered the Miso Ramen - the stock is also made of "Golden Triple Soup" with pork mince; flavoured with oyster sauce, ginger, garlic and miso; charsiu pork, sprouts, eggs, shallots, bamboo shoots; sprinkled with garlic chips and black sesame.


Miso Ramen - $ 14.90
I quite like my miso ramen, the black sesame added some crunch to the whole dish and there is a balance of flavour between the miso and the stock. I like my egg, you can see that the yolk is not overly done and that's how I like my yolk. The eggs must have been boiled in some kind of broth (soya sauce?) since both of us can taste hints of soya sauce. The charsiu pork was delicious too, it just melts in your mouth!


We noticed that the noodles in both of our ramens are different, his noodles are finer than mine. I wonder why? 

I drank all my miso broth!!!
When we walked pass other tables, you can see that most bowls were empty ... I guess this just show how moreish their soups were!


The verdict:

  • delicious ramen
  • long waiting time (we waited about 25 minutes before the meals arrived)
  • I'll have to return one day to try their tonkotsu ramen

Taro's Ramen Café on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove