Anouk

Too busy to cook and buy food, I have been consuming instant noodles, random Japanese and Korean snacks and not to forget my crunchy peanut butter and orange marmalade sandwich since the past two weeks. Since young, I don’t like jam (any flavours available) because they are either too sour or sweet. I’m weird! However, last Saturday I had sudden cravings for orange marmalade with peanut butter and I finished a bottle of orange marmalade in five days…

What else has been happening the past two weeks? The celebration of the ‘Nine Emperor Gods Festival’ kicked start on the 27th September 2011 until 5th October 2011; lasting for nine days. This festival is usually celebrated by Taoists around the world on the ninth day of the ninth month in the Chinese calendar. According to beliefs, it signifies the return of the Nine Emperor spirits from heaven to earth. During this period, devotees need to observe a strict vegetarian diet for nine days excluding all meat products and dairy products (milk, eggs, cheese, etc). 

Guess what? I have been following this strict vegetarian diet last week although I did consume some muffins and birthday cake (made by Jen) … oh well, I tried to be as strict as I possibly can! 

Anouk, Paddington

Supposedly to go out for dinner with a friend last night, something unexpected and probably embarrassing occurred. Luckily, G was around to accompany me during the whole ordeal… Phew! 

Finally, I had the chance to go out for a proper meal today. I had Eurovida in my mind but later decided to go to Anouk instead. These two cafes are only a few shops away from each other … fierce competition!

While waiting to be seated in Anouk, you can see the bright layout of the café with cute, round pendant lights hanging down.

Anouk's menu


Hmm... nothing on the menu capture me. Instead, the specials of the day 'corn, coriander fritters with chili pancetta, rocket and fresh tomato salsa' sounds interesting to me. It was a little difficult trying to read the specials menu written on the glass. 

Drink's menu
I have been consuming too much caffeine the past week and this time I opted for one of their 'Muddled' drinks. I chose the 'Peach Passionfruit Lime soda'.




Peach, passionfruit and lime soda - $6


First sip: tangy lime flavour with bubbly carbonated water! The lime flavour seems to have overpowered the peach-passionfruit flavour. Nevertheless, it was still good and refreshing.


Corn and coriander fritters, chili pancetta, rocket and fresh tomato salsa - $16.50


I can already smell the aroma of fried pancetta when this was presented on my table. The spiciness of pancetta was just right for me, not too spicy. The flavour of the corn and coriander fritters was well-balanced.  Eat it with the crunchy pancetta or with the fresh tomato salsa! Yum!

The verdict:
  • good food
  • good service
  • nice ambience

Anouk on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove