Pearl Cafe

Pearl Café, Woolloongabba

Finally, after weeks of busy-ness (if such a word exist), G and I had the chance to go out for breakfast. Both of us had been very busy (especially me) to actually have a get together … yup, even though she’s my housemate. 
 
Pearl Café has been up on my 'list to visit' since ages ago. Finally, both of us have some time to visit this place. G, more of a foodie than I am, has visited Pearl Café for at least three times and this will be the fourth for her. Wow!
On the way there…
G     : So sweet or savoury?
Me   : Hmmm…. Savoury cause I don’t usually have sweet tooth in the morning. You?
G     : It depends… In Chinese tradition, people don’t usually have meat in their breakfast. You know, it’s okay if it’s in the bun or dumplings…
Me   : Hmmm…. We’ll see what they offer then!
We got there by 9.30 am and it was already pretty full and it’s only Thursday! Exteriorly, Pearl Café looks like one of the old, heritage buildings located among some antique shops.
Once you step inside, be prepared to walk into this elegant looking décor with sleek clean mirrors hanging on one side of the wall. With the dim lighting and mirrors, the quite small café certainly feels much larger and spacious. My only criticism was that tables were too close to each other and you can certainly listen to neighbour’s conversation with no intention of eavesdropping. 
Some of their specials of the day!

G said that they change their menu seasonally, since it's different from her previous visits. I wonder what is their signature dish then?
 
Pearl's Menu
We ordered our usual suspects: Skinny flat white for me and skinny cap for G. The coffee is really good, well-balanced, smooth and creamy with no bitter after taste. Although G commented that the temperature may be a little too high (my tongue is definitely not as sensitive as hers!), I certainly don't mind it.

Coffees - $3.50

I ordered the 'Crisp fried pulled pork with mushie peas on toast & a poached hen's egg':

Crisp fried pulled pork with mushie peas on toast & poached hen's egg - $19
First thought when served: the pork looks so dry .... But after the first taste, my suspicion was dispelled. The pork was certainly crispy and to a certain extent crunchy if you are biting into the individual strands of pork. Flavourwise, the pork was quite good and was not too salty. The mashed peas, served on toasted sourdough, certainly added another soft, creamy texture to the dish. Without the mashed peas, this dish can certainly be quite dry. The egg was poached to perfection! It was a huge serving size and I could not finish the entire dish (I'm usually a big eater!). The gentleman seated next to us ordered the same dish and he could not finish his dish too ...


G ordered toasts with poached egg and extras: homemade tomato relish and sausages:


Toasts with poached hen's egg, pork sausages and tomato relish - $18
I tried the tomato relish and it was really good. I stole some of the relish and served it together with my crispy pulled pork. Yum! The pork sausages were delicious and again, no fault with the poached egg.


Various selection of cakes

I was tempted to try their cakes but I was just too full ...



A little souvenir from the shop! It will a good bookmark for me :)

The verdict:
  • excellent service
  • good coffee
  • good food
  • nice ambience
Pearl Café on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove