Moray Cafe

Moray Cafe, New Farm

A friend once told me before that 'Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!' and knowing that I enjoy breakfast, BG bought me a voucher breakfast in Moray Cafe, New Farm for my birthday. We visited this place twice and I managed to embarrass myself twice. Read on to know more ...

Far away from Brunswick St where most cafes (OrtigaCirque, Ponycat) are, Moray Cafe is situated around the corner of Moray St and Merthyr St, free from the hustle and bustle you get in Brunswick St. And not too far away from Moray, lies Little Larder and Chouquette. Does Moray Cafe live up to my expectations as the rest of the places I have visited in New Farm?

First visit we had was dinner on a Tuesday night. Why Tuesday? because every thing on the menu was at $13 (although the online menu states $12) ~ 'Tight-Ass Tuesdays'.


Tuesday's Dinner Menu
The menu does offer quite a few varieties from lamb, salmon, steak, pasta and gnocchi. We ordered the braised lamb shank and risotto.


Braised Lamb Shank cooked in red wine & tomato sauce with creamy mash potato and wilted spinach

BG had the braised lamb and it was good! The lamb was so tender and the meat just falls off the bone, the chef must have braised it for a long time. The lamb definitely did not disappoint with good flavour of red wine and tomato sauce. No fault with the mash potato too! Good serving size!


Risotto with scallops, saffron, lemon and roquette
I had the risotto instead. In comparison to the braised lamb, the serving size was quite small and that instant, I wished I had ordered the lamb instead. :) 

I haven't had much risotto in my life and I think this was all right. The arborio rice was cooked to perfection and the creaminess of the sauce was okay. The freshly shaved Parmesan definitely added a more cheesy flavour to the dish. Scallops were cooked to perfection but at a price of $13/meal, there's only four to five pieces of scallops.

First embarrassing moment: Somehow I managed to drop the glass bottle on our table and broke it ... I definitely created a scene that time but the waiter was very kind and patient! :)


On the second visit on a Saturday, we had breakfast in Moray Cafe. It was pretty full when we got there and were seated outside. This time, I get to use my breakfast voucher but unfortunately with the voucher, our choice was only the 'Big Breakfast'. There's definitely other meals that I wanted to try that day such as the 'Spanish baked eggs'.  

We ordered our coffees:
Skinny Flat White

Long Black
Coffees were pretty good. I usually have my flat white in a cup but mine was in a glass. So, I wasn't sure that was a latte or flat white; maybe more to a latte since the milk ratio to coffee is higher. 


Big Breakfast
The Big Breakfast consists of two poached eggs, grilled tomato, bacons, three sausages, wilted spinach, hash cake and Turkish toast. The eggs were poached to perfection. The highlight for this dish is definitely the hash cake.


Hash Cake
Topped with sour cream, the hash cake is crunchy on the exterior and soft on the inside with hints of spring onions. Yum!


Second embarrassing moment: When I was cutting into my sausages, somehow the fat/juice managed to squirt onto my glasses ... Seriously?!? Phew, luckily my dining partner was BG, who knows that I am a clumsy klutz. :)


Too full after that, we couldn't order any dessert ...


This is what they have to offer:




Overall, we had a good dining experience here. Moray Cafe does live up to my expectation but I will need to try other breakfast meals to consider it on par as Little Larder or Cirque.

Food: 7
Coffee: 7
Service:7
Ambience: 8

Ratings: 10: perfect; 9: excellent; 8: great; 7: good; 6: passable; 5: disappointing; 1-4: woeful

  Moray Cafe on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove