Flourless Chocolate and Almond Cake

I thought I should start writing up this post while waiting for the cake to be ready (still in the oven baking!). I can already smell the chocolaty aroma in my room and I am salivating right now. =) Life must be miserable for anosmic individuals.

Recipe (from The Little Teochew)

200g dark chocolate (Nestle Premium Dark)
1 tbsp strong espresso coffee
1 tsp rum essence 
1/2 cup caster sugar
150g unsalted butter
1 cup ground almonds
5 eggs, separated (but I used only 4 eggs)
Icing sugar for dusting
Pinch of salt

1. Melt the chocolate, coffee, rum, sugar, salt and butter in a bowl and sit the bowl on a pot of boiling water. Stir until all has dissolved and remove from heat.

2. Add the ground almonds and mix well. Following that, add the egg yolk one by one, mixing them together.

3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. I have to use a hand whisk and that was so tiring. Then, add the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and gently fold the egg whites.

4. Pour the batter into a greased round cake tin and bake at 180 C for 40 minutes. I removed the cake after 30 minutes because I realized that the cake was nearly burnt that time.

5. Let the cake cool before dusting icing sugar.

6. The final product:

Verdict: Yummy!!! The cake is moist with crusty edges...

How to improve the cake:
I should use a springform cake tin and maybe the real rum next time! I probably need to cover the cake tin with aluminium foil to prevent the chocolate from burning. Overall, a good recipe and final product!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove