Belgian Beer Cafe Brussels

G and I wanted to visit Belgian Beer cafe for quite sometime. Finally, both of us had time today to give this place a go. Having read Hungry Kitten's post about this place beforehand, I was a tad worried about the service there and it sounded like I need to dress up before I go. Well, I wore a pair of high heels, skirt, etc ... and guess what happened later?

Somehow, I managed to land on my bottom while walking down the stairs in the train station. Ouch!!! Btw, I did not curse and was smiling instead... smiling at myself of how silly I was ... At that moment, I knew what to write for the post! =)

Back to the restaurant itself, even though the website stated that they are open from 11.30 am onwards, lunch starts at 12 pm only. Having some time to kill, we walked to the nearby open markets.

First customers to arrive and were served some complimentary breads ...


Multigrain and rye bread

Left: Hoegaarden White - $8
Right: Belle-Vue Kriek - $8
Since we were in a beer cafe, I think it is a good reason for me to try some beers. I am not a beer expert and certainly haven't tried much beer in my life! 


G ordered the Hoegaarden, which is the authentic wheat beer and has an iconic cloudy golden hue. The beer menu described this beer as having aroma of bananas, cloves, coriander and burnt orange peel. Unfortunately, my tongue has not developed the taste buds to differentiate those flavours.


I ordered the Belle-Vue Kriek, which is sweeter than Hoegaarden. In short, BVK is also known as 'cherry beer', it uses ripened Morello cherries and Elderberry juice in the brewing process. I like this beer! =)


Baby squid crumbed in lemon pepper with caper mayonnaise - $18.50
Entree:
Fresh salad
Squid: Crunchy on the outside, soft and tender inside, cooked to perfection 

Beer battered frites & mayonnaise
Beer battered fries that accompany the mussels
Very crunchy fries and soft in the center
Real, thick mayonnaise (not the low fat one)

Mussels - $29
Roquefort: chardonnay and cream sauce with blue cheese and baby spinach
Big pot of mussels
Good flavour: the blue cheese is not too overpowering
Remember to scoop the sauce at the bottom of the pot and I used the sauce to 'soak up' my fries


The End!
We finished our big pot of mussels. I am not a big fan of mussels but I think they were cooked to perfection. Not sure whether it is not a good season for mussels now? because the meat seems very tiny. It can be quite daunting at first looking at this 'mountain' of mussels but eventually we cleaned all out!

The verdict:
  • good ambience
  • pretty good food
  • good service (Well, there's only four tables occupied that time and wasn't that busy)
  • I'm going to stick to my normal sport shoes!



Belgian Beer Cafe Brussels on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove