Grub Street


Grub Street, Gaythorne

Another one of my impromptu escapade! Lingering at home after work in the morning, I decided to venture out to the north side for some food. Too bad G was still asleep, I decided to venture this quest alone. Grub Street has been on my wishlist for quite a while and it's time to give it a visit. =) 

I drove past it and there was already a queue at 9.30 am. Good sign! The shop is quite small with a small dining area and an outdoor area. Stepping into the cafe, you will see the open kitchen immediately and the workers were so calm and collected preparing the meals. I was lucky that I don't have to wait for a table. 


Grub Street, kitchen
Grub Street sells their own homemade jams....

Assortment of jams

Grub Street Menu
I like Grub Street's menu, the food is different and special compared to other cafes I have visited; you will not find your usual 'Big Breakfast' or 'Eggs Benedict' here. There's definitely influence of Asian or Turkish/Middle Eastern in their food, with 'Asian pulled pork' and 'hummus, labne, smoky eggplant' respectively.


I ordered my coffee first before deciding what I want for breakfast... 
Coffee is good, it definitely feels stronger than the usual ones I had.
Skinny Flat white - $3.50
After contemplating for 5-10 minutes, tossing between 'Asian pulled pork omelette', 'pesto scrambled eggs' and 'haloumi & zucchini fritters' ..... I finally decided to order the fritters, just because there is haloumi in it! =) 

Haloumi & zucchini fritter with poached eggs, spinach, za'atar & smoky eggplant - $ 17

It doesn't take that long for my meal to arrive. Serving size is quite small compared to the pulled pork omelette I saw from other table. I tried the smoky eggplant first and it tasted delicious. I got no idea what za'atar is and I am guessing that it's the reddish brown spice. How to describe the fritters? They were pretty good actually, crispy and crunchy on the outside, good flavour combination of zucchini and haloumi ... if only there were more haloumi! 

Perfect poached eggs!
The verdict:
  • good service
  • good food
I'll be back and give other meals a try, especially the pesto scrambled eggs (and maybe compare it to Little Larder's pesto scrambled eggs) =)



Grub Street on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove